Nap (Siesta) in Spanish, yes or no?
Where does the word nap come from?
The word “Siesta“ has its origin in the Latin “sixta”, which means “the sixth hour of the day”, and it supposes the moment of rest that allows to recover forces in the middle of the day.
After a meal, many of us feel sleepy and eager to lie down for a while, no matter how much we fight against this sensation, the most common is that we finally succumb to the arms of Morpheus (Greek god of sleep). This has a biological explanation, because it is due to the changes that occur in the nervous system and the elevation of our body temperature.
The nap has both detractors and defenders, but done in the right way a nap can be quite beneficial for health. Today I will analyze the different benefits and disadvantages of napping so they can make an intelligent decision.
- The nap retards your old age. According to various scientific studies, adding a nap to your usual hours of sleep revitalizes the properties of various tissues, such as the skin. An anti-wrinkle at our reach and totally free, thanks to the nap we will have a young and radiant skin.
- It helps you in your mission to lose weight, since it has been found that a restful sleep increases the growth hormone, which reduces the accumulation of fats in the body.
- Improve the response in the speed of your movements. A study conducted by Harvard University observed that dancers, athletes, pianists and guitarists increased the skill and speed in the execution of their movements after a good night’s sleep and a nap during the day.
- Increase your ability to make coherent decisions. In a study conducted with pilots who took their nap on a regular basis, it was revealed that they were able to better judge their failures and then have a greater capacity for reaction.
- Increase your alert status. There is a 100% increase in alertness in individuals who nap on a regular basis, according to several studies conducted.
- You will have a lower risk of diabetes, because a sleep deficit increases the levels of insulin in the human body so it is easier for you to acquire type 2 diabetes. But a nap after lunch guarantees that your body controls better sugar levels in the body.
- Improve your productivity. People who suffered fatigue due to poor sleep habits, testified that this situation improved significantly after introducing a nap in their daily routines, they also assure that their performance increased considerably.
- A nap counteracts the levels of cortisol-the stress hormone. In addition, your body secretes growth hormone, so you will get more energy, while you increase your ability to concentrate.
- Your memory will increase if you take a little nap, this is very useful for students. While you sleep, your most recent memories are transmitted to the neocortex, where long-term memories are solidified and stored. If you have data to hold, taking a nap would be ideal. Remember that your memories are affected if you have a sleep deficit.
- Lack of sleep causes irritability to be with you at all times. While a nap causes an increase in the hormone serotonin that improves your mood.
- Prevents coronary attacks. A study conducted in Greece with male individuals, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, showed that those who slept at least three times a week for at least 30 minutes were 40% less likely to suffer a coronary attack.
- There has always been a theory that taking a nap makes sleeping at night more difficult. This myth is not true, because in reality the opposite happens, if you sleep regularly, your body and mind relax making it possible to easily reconcile the night’s sleep.
On the other hand, we must bear in mind that not everything is rosy when it comes to napping. We must be careful in how we do it, because instead of producing beneficial effects, the opposite could happen.
- The ideal is to go to sleep nap two hours after having dinner and not immediately, as this can cause stomach pains, fullness, gas, internal fever, among other ailments.
- Who has not entered that invincible dream after having eaten, gone to bed and hours later has woken up in a very bad mood? This is because if you sleep for too long, you enter the phase of deep sleep, and upon awakening you will feel doubly tired.
- You may also wake up dazed or bewildered, not knowing how much time has passed.
- If you suffer from insomnia or other sleep disorders, a nap can make it difficult for you to sleep at night.
- Hypertensive people should be careful with the nap. During the same tension decreases but increases after the nap, so it is preferable to avoid it.
- Occasionally, causes headaches upon awakening.
- They should always bear in mind that it is not the same to take a half-hour nap as a 2-hour nap. Nor after having eaten a light meal that a great meal.
I share some tips on how to sleep properly nap:
- If you take a short nap it will be better. The positive effects of the nap appear after 10 minutes, and should not exceed 30 minutes.
- Avoid copious meals and alcohol.
- Even if you take a nap of a few minutes, do it in the dark.
- If the weather allows it, it is better to sleep with the windows open instead of air conditioning, to favor oxygenation.
Surely many did not know the following curious facts about the siesta:
- World Dream Day is celebrated on March 13. It was implemented in the United States to promote good sleep, this date being chosen because it coincides with the change of summer time in the northern hemisphere.
- Are you fattening or losing weight if you nap?
Surely you’ve heard these topics more than once. But what is the truth?
Do not pay attention to either of them, because the siesta neither fattens nor thins.
Although if you do not sleep well at night if you get fat, napping does not happen, because it is too short to interfere with metabolic processes.
- The nap is not only recommended for adults. In children, they improve their ability to learn, because they remember better what they are learning; favors physical development and calms them. For children under 12 months to have the opportunity to grow with a large memory, it is important to enhance the beneficial effects that the siesta brings to this subject by sleeping them a short time after having taught them something new to fix that memory in their memories, since nap, memories are encoded and transmitted from the hippocampus, which is the area of the brain that affects immediate memory; to the neocortex, which, as we already know, constitutes the area involved in long-term memory. These data come to light as a result of an experiment carried out by the Child and Youth Psychology Unit of the University of Ruhr in Bochum, Germany, and published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS).
- In the United States, they are introducing a nap in the workplace to achieve greater employee performance, which would result in greater economic growth for companies. Ingenious idea! True?
And you, do you take a nap? I feel great to continue the day with energy.
Gretel García García